Saturday, September 5, 2009
International Vulture Awareness Day!
September 5, 2009 is International Vulture Awareness Day. So, happy IVAD everybody! Since this is OUR day, Bill asked us to tell you a few things about vultures you may not have known.
1. Our heads are bald for a good reason. We often stick our heads inside a rotten carcass in order to get down to the good stuff. And if our heads were covered with feathers, it would be a big mess. Did you ever try to get rotten, greasy meat off your feathers?
2. We urinate on our feet in order to cool them off when it is really hot. It works great. You ought to try it!
3. We can soar for hours on rising thermals of warm air.
4. We are the strong, silent type. The only sounds we make are soft hisses. But you will probably never get close enough to hear us.
5. We mate for life. Which is more than can be said for many of you humans!
6. If you get too close to us and we get scared, we will throw up on you. We have discovered that we only have to do that once and you will leave us alone.